ARE YOU A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION?
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION?
There are several criteria that patients should meet in order for a plastic surgeon to classify you as a good candidate for breast augmentation.
- In general, you should be in good physical health. This means no active infections, untreated cancer or serious illnesses. If you have medical issues, it’s important to discuss them with your surgeon so that he or she can help you decide whether or not breast implant surgery is suitable for you.
- If your breasts are sagging, flattened, elongated, asymmetrical or lacking adequate cleavage or volume, there is a good chance that you’re an excellent candidate for this surgery.
- Most surgeons prefer that you do not smoke or consume significant amounts of alcohol.
- Because this surgery can permanently alter your appearance, it’s important for you to be in a healthy frame of mind when you decide on this surgery.
- While this is a surgery that will change how you look, it’s important to remember that it cannot fix body image issues or give you a wildly different appearance. You should maintain realistic expectations and listen to your surgeon’s honest assessment of your goals.
- The best candidate for breast augmentation understands the risks as well as the rewards. The surgery is generally considered safe, and implants are FDA-approved, but with any surgery, there are some risks.
- You understand that breast enhancement should be done strictly for yourself and because you believe it will increase your own happiness or confidence. You should never get cosmetic work done because someone else wants you to. You should have the ability to properly rest and recover post-surgery.
- You will not be able to perform certain tasks or do any heavy lifting, so it’s important for you to have help in place.
- For saline implants, the FDA requires you to be at least 18 years old. If you want silicone implants, the minimum age is 22.
WHO IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION?
Generally speaking, anyone who is in reasonably good mental and physical health can be candidates for breast implants.
However, you are likely not a good candidate for this surgery if:
- You’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have breast cancer or an abnormal mammogram.
- You’re ill or battling an infection.
- You have unrealistic expectations for post-surgery results.
Though most women can qualify for breast implants, it’s vitally important that you are open and honest with your surgeon during your consultation. Even if breast implants are not right for you, he or she may be able to recommend an alternative course of action to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
IS BREAST AUGMENTATION RIGHT FOR YOU?
Ultimately, the criteria above are just general guidelines to help you get an idea of whether or not breast augmentation can be right for you. Because every person is unique, the final decision on pursuing a breast augmentation is between you and your doctor. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon will allow you to get an honest medical opinion about your situation.
Breast augmentation is a highly personal choice that can help you to become a happier, sexier and more confident version of yourself, so don’t hesitate to speak with a qualified plastic surgeon to find out if it’s right for you and you’re right for it.
The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.