Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures performed globally with a high patient satisfaction rate. The decision to get a breast augmentation is a deeply personal one and takes careful consideration to determine if the surgery is right for you. If you’ve considered going under the knife for larger, fuller breasts, read on for some criteria that makes someone a good candidate for surgery.
1. You should be in good physical health. During your consultation with your surgeon, you will discuss your medical history and any current conditions or concerns you have. If you have any active infections or serious illnesses, it’s important to discuss these. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding or even planning a future pregnancy, you will need to wait to have surgery so you don’t negate results. Also, most surgeons prefer that you do not smoke or consume significant amounts of alcohol.
2. You have realistic expectations and a healthy frame of mind. Breast augmentation permanently alters your appearance, so it’s important to have a positive attitude and understand that this surgery cannot fix body image issues.
3. Your breasts have fully developed. Some women still go through changes in their breasts in young adulthood. To even be considered for surgery, the FDA requires that you are at least 18 years old to have saline implants, or 22 years old for silicone implants.
4. Your breasts are sagging and have lost shape and volume. Pregnancy, nursing, large fluctuations in weight and aging itself can contribute to this “deflated” look in the breasts.
5. You think your breasts are too small. Women who have abnormally small breasts find that implants help give them a more proportional shape to their figure.
6. Your breasts didn’t develop normally or have an elongated shape, or one of your breasts is larger than the other. A variety of things can cause breasts to be asymmetrical, including hormonal changes and puberty. A breast augmentation can give you a more balanced look.
If you’re interested in learning more about breast augmentation surgery, call (301) 251-2600 today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dick.